In 1895 Charles Deere, son of John
Deere, founded The Moline Commercial Club. The club would
meet regularly at member's homes until 1912 when an official
location was designated and the club was formalized with
a building built for its purposes. The Moline Commercial
Club and its members became key components to developing
the city's commercial interests.
Although Charles Deere died in 1907,
his legacy in The Moline Commercial Club was fulfilled by
those who followed after him. Ben Butterworth, a key supporter,
was instrumental in the completion of The Moline Commercial
The historic Moline Commercial Club
and its Ballroom is the only Arts and Craft or Prairie School
architectural style Club and Ballroom available in the area.
This style of achitecture was popularized by Frank Lloyd
During the Great Depression, the
Moline Commercial Club closed its doors and the building
was eventually sold to the YMCA. For the next 60 years,
the building would change ownership several times with little
interest of revitalizing the building's legacy until its
The Moline Commercial Club building
was bought by its current owner in September 1990. The building
was restored in three phases. The first phase was the actual
physical restoration of the
building and opening its doors as The
Moline Club (www.themolineclub.com) for banquets and wedding receptions
in July 1991. The second phase was the establishment of
a public forum sponsored by The
Institute for Cultural and Healing Traditions, Ltd.The third and final phase was the restoration and
opening of The
Moline Commercial Club
in 2005 as a civic and commerce organization.
Web Archived Events!